Not much to say about how fun waiting is, after reading the return stories of some adoptive parents, I think I will be glad of the calm before the storm. I can see now how easy it is to romanticize adoption to the point where we can delude ourselves into thinking our transition with a new child will be seamless. I know my friends who have adopted children with Down syndrome had a somewhat easier transition than those kids without the diagnosis of Down syndrome. I think I will cherish this time I have with Meghan and Julia (my two at home) and my family as it is now instead of wishing the days would rush ahead for ME.
I have been busy with home schooling, and having fun most of the time, once I released my expectations and let Meghan's abilities steer the boat I was feeling better, but reading the assessments after each lesson depressed me a little. The chasm between what Meghan can do academically and what typical kids can do is HUGE. I know she is bright, I can tell she is, but not in the way kids without her disability are. After a measurement lesson where she was supposed to tell me the difference between an inch and a millimeter.................and why it is better to measure with a ruler than a persons foot? What did we do? We did "How tall is Meghan?" on the wall, that was our measurement lesson. May be a while until she can do measurements.
Meghan is learning to use the mouse, I hope we master it before we leave, we can bring her programs with her for school, music Cd's and her Leap Start programs. Good thing about her school is much of it is on-line, so we should be able to keep up while we are gone. Meghan is listening to her music right now, her favorite is Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, wonder if that because mom sang it and signed it(badly) when she was tiny!? She knows half the words and loves to sing.
Back to school, Meghan just ran into the other room.






1 comment:
Hi Kris,
I think it is wonderful that Meghan is learning to use the computer. The wait is hard,...I know but you're right this is your calm time. Your life will be turned upside down soon, but in a Glorious way!!! I can't wait to read you telling us you have date to leave!!
Amy
Post a Comment