When Kara and I came home from Ukraine, she would often call me Mama, and then we adopted Amanda, and she seemed to get really depressed-sad, and she stopped making sounds altogether. The only time she vocalized was in the swimming pool, just babbling.She has seemed so lost, and we have been frantically trying to figure out what happened. You know, that constant thought in your head "What is wrong with Kara?" "Is she OK?" Not that she is always sad, she isn't, but I think having a sister so soon after she came home was hard on her adjustment, though I do not regret adopting Amanda so soon afterwards, in hindsight I think parents should wait a year between adoption if at all possible.
Two days ago we were playing and she looked up at me and said Mama with a big smile. Those are the moments you just never forget, is Kara coming back?
I know with our girls that linear progression rarely occurs, so I do not believe she will begin speaking her mind anytime soon, but I do think that using sign language more and more and saying Mama does indicate that Kara is now ready to attempt expressive communication again.
Please pray that Kara can continue to improve in this area of her development, I know she has many things to say to us!






1 comment:
I am so proud of Kara that she is starting to communicate with you more. I know being able to hear her call you Mama is a huge celebration time. It would be for me as well.
Always in my thoughts and prayers.
Post a Comment