I am this OLD

Lilypie 5th Birthday PicLilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

Friday, January 4, 2008

Kara feeling homesick


We think Kara is feeling a little homesick, poor baby. I expected that she would experience grief; but I thought it would present itself before now. She starts crying and just sobs, and nothing we do helps her. It is heartbreaking for all of us, Meghan is beside herself with worry for her sister.

She is also having trouble sleeping, and refuses to just go to bed like she had done just days before. Adjusting to a new home, new language, new food, and all of our family, it has to be very stressful, plus she caught this cold I have. We spend a lot of time just holding and hugging her, and she never seems to tire of sitting in our laps. Kara hugs are just heavenly, and every time we hug her we cannot believe she is home with us!

DH and I are experienced parents; so we know we will be alright, but our hearts hurt for little Kara, she has had to adjust to so many new things in such a short time. Personally I think she has done remarkably well and I was in awe of her coping capabilities. I think I have had a harder time adjusting to being home than she has!
I just saw a good article on this. ARTICLE ARTICLE2

6 comments:

Meredith said...

Poor thing, it amazes me how well children are able to adapt. It sounds like her transition is going really well and it may actually be a good sign that she is a little homesick. It shows that she had some attachments. I have had you in my thoughts and prayers. I'm glad to hear such positive post-adoption experiences!

Arizona mom to eight said...

She is adjusting well, but she was very attached to some of the older women (caregivers) in her groupa. I know she misses them terribly, and I know she misses hearing her language. I can't blame her at all, I know I hungered for anyone to speak English to me while there.

traceylynndel said...

Katya grieves this exact same way. She would do it often in the first few months of being home. Not so much now. She would be playing and all of a sudden just sit there and cry for no apparent reason. She doesn't want to be comforted either. We just sit and hold her and let her cry. It is hard to see your little one so sad but like Meredith said it is a good sign.

Arizona mom to eight said...

Tracey,

It is odd, and that is exactly what Kara does, she will be playing and then burst into tears. Last night she kept DH up until nearly 1:00. I was out at 9:00, still trying to recover from my illness. She slept so well in our room at the sanatorium, so this is new.

GoldenAngelsWorks said...

Prayers for Kara to get over her homesickness... yes that is to be expected....
I remember you saying something about her liking music... you could always have you, tom or even the older kids have her in the lap at the computer and play music and let her watch the light show that you can turn on some media players... I know that was my youngest favorite spot to be with dad and still is.
Give her hugs and kisses from me... wish I was a little closer to you.

Arizona mom to eight said...

Hi Dawn,

Yes, we did exactly that, we put on the Carpenters for her, her favorite band so far. It helped her go to sleep one night. She is having fun crawling to the boys tonight to be held. hugs

Advocacy

Advocacy

Kara's next birthday

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Please visit our other blogs too