I am this OLD

Lilypie 5th Birthday PicLilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

You never know who you will find surfing the net

http://www.ukraineorphans.net/id67.html I found Kara at this website, what a surprise, and for a good cause, please visit the site, maybe think about helping them with their mission.

Kara has been growing again, I don't know when, but she grew out of her size 3's and into 4's. Of course she is turning 5 really soon, so she should be a bigger girl right? :o)

We are getting very close to the day that we travelled to Ukraine to adopt, two years ago we left here November 7th to get to ur SDA appointment on the 9th. Seems like it was such a short time ago, I am in disbelief and I still long to return, some days I wish we could adopt from Ukraine again. Then we have those days where all three little gals are cranky, bickering, whining, and we are tripping over each other and I tell myself it could never happen again.

I know having Kara and Amanda is a bit of a miracle for us, I love them so much, but there are so many more children waiting for forever families, I suppose I am not alone in thinking one more would not be a hardship...but today I received a phone call from a person asking about homes for an adult woman with Down syndrome, her elderly parent's knew their days here were running short and they are worried about where she will go after they are gone. Though I am aware of group homes here for adults with developmental disabilities, I could not help for the valley (Phoenix area) and had to send the caller to someone who may know more than I.

It got me to thinking about our girls and their futures, of course what we want for all of them is to be as independent as possible. Marriage is not out of the question either, I save articles about couples with Down syndrome getting married, going to college, getting jobs, and living lives that are fulfilling, happy. It made me a little sad to hear of this adult woman who never left her parents home. Sadder still that her only sibling was unable to take her in once their parents were gone.

We have to be careful about living in the now and not thinking about the future when we adopt kids with developmental delays and special needs, sure we could adopt over and over again, but we will not be here forever. Our older children know we are counting on them to help their sisters in 30-40 years, but as this person that called said to me, you do not even know if your older children will still be alive when you pass, or if they will be physically, emotionally, or financially able to care for their sisters.

It gives me a lot to think about, plan for, pray for. My heart still longs to adopt again, but it will likely not happen.

4 comments:

GoldenAngelsWorks said...

That is sure neat to see Kara on that site.

It is hard to believe she has been with you for 2 years and is going to be 5 soon.

WOW time is just zooming by.

carol said...

Happy Birthday Kara.
Something for people to think about when we have kids with special needs. All of us need to have a will updated with our wishes
for the future.
carol

Alice said...

Sorry I missed Kara's birthday. Your picture on the homecoming page of RR caught my eye on my first visit to the site. Kara is so cute, and she looks like the spunky little mischievous type that I love so well. I found your blog and read all the way back. I cried over all you had to go through. I am so glad you were blessed with Kara. Thanks for being real.

Beth said...

Happy Birthday Kara!

Advocacy

Advocacy

Kara's next birthday

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Please visit our other blogs too