I am this OLD

Lilypie 5th Birthday PicLilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Today was World Down Syndrome Day

I went from blog to blog and read what was in their hearts today. I made me think of being in Ukraine the day Meghan left with Tom, the relief I felt because Meghan made Y nervous, and how happy I was Meghan would not have to feel that rejection anymore. As more time goes by I find I am hurt by the dismissal of my beloved daughter, and for whatever reason there is, I can feel it more now than I did then, perhaps because at the time, I was just trying to prevent any negativity in my thoughts from being known, scared that I was so far from home and no one would be able to help me if anything went wrong, that feeling of helplessness wore me down. So there I go off on a tangent again...back to my topic, I feel so badly that there are so many people who do not see the child in the little ones with Down syndrome. All they see is trisomy 21, and nothing else.

I still dream about Ukraine, in one of my better dreams I can actually talk to people and hear their thoughts about Down syndrome. I can tell them how much I love my daughters and how valuable they are to me and to society. In these very good dreams, people listen and they embrace ALL children, and give them the tender loving care they crave.

Ukraine does have a budding Down Syndrome Society, I pray it will grow and change perceptions there. I fervently hope they never embrace western ideas of abortion of "defective" fetuses and they allow all their precious children to be born, while I am saddened by the children left in orphanages, I am happy that they had a chance to be born. I am hoping more and more families will decide to keep their children with them, and I pray more will travel to Ukraine to adopt those that do not have those families.

Kara today, she is getting over another cold, bronchial issues are nothing new to her, poor sweetie. She is feeling better, but her nose is always runny!

In my minds eye I can imagine people with Down syndrome walking to the Metro, or shopping at the mall, or walking among the many tourists at Independence Square. I can picture their faces beaming with acceptance and happiness as they greet the hoards of people with a smile. I remember walking along those streets too, the people so dour to my American eyes and how I wished and prayed for a friendly face, even a nod of greeting, anything those 3 long weeks I spent without my family. The few smiles I did get were a gift. I think by the time I went home, I looked pretty unhappy myself. :o(

I know change is never easy, I know that long held beliefs are hard to let go of, sometimes there even though we do not know why we have them. Still, my wish at the end of World Down Syndrome Day is for all people born with Down syndrome to be cherished members of their countries, here and abroad.

No comments:

Advocacy

Advocacy

Kara's next birthday

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Please visit our other blogs too