I am this OLD

Lilypie 5th Birthday PicLilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

IEP done! Kara has pre-school placement!

Of course Kara is in the severely delayed category, we expected it, but goodness, we surely don't see it. She has learned so much and has grown so much since we brought her home, but she definitely qualifies for speech, occupational, and physical therapy. As I told the IEP team; I only see what Kara can do, not what she can't. I am very proud of her!

She also has a place reserved for her in Project Able Preschool, which is a special needs preschool and akin to getting 2 1/2 hours of therapy 4 days a week. Here's hoping she enjoys the time away from us, I know she has bonded with us, but I also think she will easily go to any new person with more ease than a child who was in a family from birth.

What is remarkable for our Kara is she would NEVER be allowed to attend school in Ukraine. As someone considered an imbecile, she would be in an institution come her 4Th birthday, instead she will be in pre-school learning and playing with other children and her life will be so different. It already is! I am excited for the possibilities in her future.

I am worried about leaving her here in Tucson while we adopt her sister, concerned for all the girls staying home actually, I will be gone from June 21 through July 10Th. Once again our adoption will mean I will personally miss 4Th of July, our Independence Day and my son Terry's birthday on the 7Th. I feel terrible about the timing, as I hate to miss any special days with family, but I am especially sad about missing Terry's birthday. At least Dad will be home for it, thank goodness.
Still, by July 10Th Kara will meet her new little sister for the first time. I can;t wait for that day to be here. Meghan knows she is staying behind this time and is not happy with us, but we had no choice with airfare being what it is, all three girls would have loved to have come. At some point we want to return to both girls home countries. Years from now, when they are old enough to understand.

2 comments:

GoldenAngelsWorks said...

Yahoo!!!!!!!!! Kara gets to learn more and experience more now....
She gets to go to school and make lots of friends and have loads of fun... I am so excited for her.

Then to make things even more exciting she gets to receive another beautiful sister to add to the two she already has.

amyl4 said...

Yea for Kara! She will simply amaze them with all she can do!!:)
Amy

Advocacy

Advocacy

Kara's next birthday

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Please visit our other blogs too