Kara went to the school districts evaluation today, I am sad to say that they did not do the OT, PT, and ST evaluations, but a vision screen, which was impossible since she cannot talk, and a hearing screen which was a tympanogram, and not a true hearing test. Kara will need a hearing test and an eye doctor appointment. So why do these first? They said why go forward with evaluations if she has vision or hearing issues? I can see their point, but I am awfully disappointed that this is all we did today.
Why? I thought she would have a full evaluation and after the report was done, we could get it to DDD. They have told me that until they have these evaluations, Kara cannot get services. Officially Kara should get all of her services from the school district, but school is out in a month and that means she cannot get anything until September. This is unacceptable to me. She needs speech and feeding therapy NOW. OT and PT are also needed, but not as essential IMHO.
They will not be able to do Kara's evaluations until June 3rd. 6 more weeks of waiting. Kara of course could care less, but mommy is disappointed.
I wanted to add, on a positive note, Kara waved bye bye to the women at Child Find. She has not done this since we left Ukraine, of course I said paka paka, and then wave bye bye Kara, and she did it. Yea! I was so proud of her. :o)






6 comments:
Kris, What is IMHO? It's probably something obvious and I'm not getting it. I hope you and your family are doing better. Sorry to hear evals are not going as you expected. :(
IMHO, in my humble opinion. :o) I did not think this posted, Blogger froze on me.
They all loved Kara there, and she waved bye bye for the first time since Ukraine. Of course she still responds to paka paka.
Kris,
I can relate! We were never able to get a *good* reading on Jake's vision since he is non verbal. But, recently we took part in a study being done by a grad student, and she was able to get an accurate reading! I am going to try and explain, so hopefully this will make sense.
She would show Jake flash cards with a shape on them (square, house, circle, heart). The pictures were varying sizes, and she would vary the distance at which she showed then to Jake (measuring far/near sighted). When she showed Jake a picture, she would ask Jake "What is it?" and Jake would *point* to the corresponding shape on a card that I was holding while standing next to him (out of a field of 4). It was brilliant! Why hadn't I thought of this?? So, Jake now has a very handsome set of spectacles to correct his horrible far-sightedness. Just a thought.....
Christina
RR
Cristina,
That was the test they used, but since Kara is so young, she could not match shapes, so they said nevermind and asked me if I thought if she had vision issues. I said she does have strabismus and nystagmus, and they said, oh, but can she see well? How in the world would I know that. We already know she needs to see the eye doctor. That is the next appointment on the list.
I am sorry to hear bout your disappointment and that they could not do these tests....
Hoooorrraaayyyyy for Kara!!!
Kris,
You hang in there. I know you will work to get her services. God Bless you and keep your chin up. Knowing that you will do everything it takes to get this sweet girl the theropies she needs. You are a great mom.
Carol N.
Post a Comment