I am this OLD

Lilypie 5th Birthday PicLilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Ukraine 2007-the 24th and 25th

Meghan did not want to visit her sister, she kept saying "No Siser, no" She shut the door and yelled NO.

However, she could not stay grumpy long, it really is not in her nature, but she knew mommy and daddy would hold Kara, and that was not fun.
She also hated her parka, she tends to run hot, and it made her sweaty, and the weather was warmer, near 40!

Meghan, you could tell she just got over a tummy virus. She has a habit of licking things, yes, even floors, at least last year she did, and we think that is how she got sick.

True to her sweet nature, she cheered up after we got outside, the main reason being PUDDLES, and splashing through them. She got one pair of shoes wet in the morning, and another that night. Both had to dry near the radiator that night.

The huge puddle that was next to the general store

Happy and ready to get in the yard to see Kara, can we say fickle?


Green grass was under all that snow, from the Marigolds and Hostas in the pots back at the Peremoga, you could tell the cold snap happened suddenly. They still had blooms on them.




I grew to love seeing the sun, it meant my 1/2 mile walk was over and I could finally see Kara, especially after Tom and Meghan went home.


Pretty little girl, she reminds me of Kara.
We loved the characters painted all over the orphanage. This one depicts the story of the three little pigs. I never saw any kids playing on the toys out here, I think it was too cold. though they did go out in the yard, so I cannot figure that one out, maybe they were out there when I was not there?

This one reminds me of Amanda .

We could not Keep Kara out of my purse, I had to zip it up, she would throw everything everywhere, including the camera. She loved the camera.





"Hey Mom, dad is with Kara again"

We were intrigued by this little chart, who made it for the orphanage? Meghan kept removing the present, nothing was in it, but hey, you can;t blame a girl for trying.





We never forgot why we were in Ukraine, and that was to bring home our sweet daughter. Our 10 day wait was up December 2, we had been worried it would be 10 business days, you know in America it would be... but it was 10 consecutive days, whew. I was looking forward to the day I could take Kara home to the orphanage with me. Tom was sad he would not be in Ukraine when that day came.

We were very mindful of the fact that Tom was leaving soon; I had bouts of anxiety when I realized I would be alone soon. I don’t know how other women (or men) felt when their family left and they were still in country, but I was not mastering Russian or Ukrainian and no one was particularly interested in helping me learn, so the thought of having no one to talk to was distressing me. Not one soul in Vorzel could say more than a few words of English. The clerks at the Chek Market would laugh at me when I tired to speak Russian. There was one clerk there would could speak English, about as much as I knew of Russian, so not much.

I knew I wanted Tom to be with Kara as much as he could, and I knew Meghan was more than ready to go home. She was bored, missed her siblings, and had enough! Who could blame her? Her one fun thing to do was play with Roma! He was not always out there to play with though.


Everything outside truly needed a coat of paint, but it was just so cute.
As soon as the snow and ice melted off, we saw how colorful everything was.


Isn't the baby adorable?

Walking back to our room, I loved the woman in her red coat walking through the drab landscape.

Most folks were in black. As the weeks went by, we blended in more, people were beginning to get used to seeing us, and a few asked us for directions. We got used to saying "Ya Nye Panimayu" People would smile and say "Oh American" We got used to it, and we rather liked the looks on their faces too. At least it was not a frown.




Everything was painted bright colors, what a nice thing to see after grey, white, and brown.


Back to our room, they kept a broom next to the door so folks could brush off their feet. I adopted that very quickly, with our room being cleaned infrequently, we needed to keep it as clean as possible.

No comments:

Advocacy

Advocacy

Kara's next birthday

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Please visit our other blogs too